Saturday, October 10, 2015

Reflections: Looking Back

Writing:
I would say that one of my favorite stories that I have written this year has to be from Week 3. I retold the story of Adam and Eve in the form of a poem for this one and I feel like it's something to be proud of because I hardly write poems. Even in high school, poetry was a challenge. My project is going okay, I suppose. However, I am trying to think if I want to switch it to a portfolio just because I feel like there are some works in my weekly storytellings that I am already rather proud of.

Reading:
My favorite reading so far had to have been from the previous week: Tibetan Folk Tales. This is because I felt like the stories were more developed than the other ones I have read and there are so many short stories within the unit. There wasn't really a character that stood out to me, but the theme that stood out to me the most was the moral lesson about greed and how it will bring about your own misfortune in the end. I found that I like to read the short stories a lot more than the longer ones. I also like stories that are easier to read. For example, I had a hard time reading the Adam and Eve story because of the language and I had to look up a lot of words to make sure I was making sense of what I was reading.

Interactions:
I am doing fine with this class being fully online. Interaction is alright in this class through the comments and such, but because we don't meet face-to-face, I don't get to connect with my classmates as much. However, I like that I can just go to a classmate's blog and glean some inspiration for my own work. I like that I don't have to ask to see it because I'm not good at asking for help, so the examples help. In a way, I suppose that I do get to know more about my classmates through their writing styles. Like, if someone writes a fun and playful story, I can assume that they are also fun and playful!

Time:
I normally try to do the reading and storytelling during the week it's due or the weekend before, depending on how busy I am that weekend. Then I leave the Fri/Sat/Sun work to be done on the weekend. In the beginning, I wanted to get ahead as much as possible, but over time, my schedule was so packed that I just follow the current week's work. If I have a test the next week though, I do try to finish up beforehand so that I have more time to study.

Location:
I do my work for this class at home normally. That way, I can focus on reading and writing without having to worry about distractions. It's also easier that way because I like to keep everything on my own computer just in case.

Growth Mindset: 
Yes, I have been doing almost all of the growth mindset challenges. I think this class has been an excellent opportunity for me to practice the growth mindset just because I am thinking about it each week and that helps me exercise it even more. It's helped me academically because I am pushing myself harder, especially since I am in one of THE HARDEST classes I have ever taken at OU.
Curation:
I have been doing curation posts for extra credit. I do try to save the most interesting things I see that pertains to this class when I am surfing the web, but sometimes I do forget haha. With the avid use of bookmarks, I am able to find things a lot easier. I used to just bookmark things that I thought I couldn't find again. But now, I bookmark the sites that I use frequently so that access is much faster. For this class, I learned how to keep up with a blog, which is something I never thought I would do. 

This is me right now: 
Meme. 
Source: FindMemes.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you in reading stories that are easier to read. Some stories I have read I have spent more time trying to figure out what words mean than actually reading the stories. When that happens the stories get lost. I also had a plan to stay ahead in this class but that definitely did not happen with all the other class I have. I do wish I could get more done rather than going day by day, but sometimes I feel like these stories drain me and I do not want to do more than one in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Tibetan folk tales too and I liked how they taught a lesson but I still liked the other units better because of the storytelling techniques. I always liked the action side of stories rather than the morals. This is just me though. I’ve tried to get my work done before the weekend but I’ve never seemed to do it. I always do it Sunday night and tell myself that I would finish the week early.

    ReplyDelete