Monday, September 7, 2015

Brainstorming Myth-Folklore Topics

Topic: Untold Memoirs of a Japanese Ghost
Comments: I'm interested in this topic not because I like watching horror movies (Oh no, never. Movies give me nightmares!), but because I like hearing about the stories of Japanese ghosts and how they became "ghosts" whether it be because they were wronged by their lover and want revenge or just came back in order to take care of their loved ones in their spirit forms. I don't know many Japanese ghost stories, but I have heard of a few creepy ones that were told from an onlooker's point of view. I want to focus on the spirit's point of view and kind of bring a different perspective on their intentions. 
Possible Stories: One interesting story I found on Wikipedia was the story of Oiwa, one that I would like to write a story about in her point of view. I also found a list of Japanese legendary creatures (such as demons and ghosts) that I could peruse in order to find some sources. There are so many to choose from on this list, but I want to find the ones that are the most infamous in Japanese folklore.
Sample Story Comments: I went through the Sacred Texts Archive and found a story about a girl who killed herself in a well because she couldn't marry her love. Although it wasn't extremely scary, I found that this story could be a good source to help create a sort of backdrop to my own story.
Bibliography Information: 
Sample story: Ghost of the Violet Well
Website name: Sacred-Texts

Topic: Reincarnation, the Story of Life After Living
Comments: I have always liked the idea of reincarnation. I don't know if it's real or not, but my family has always told me to do good things so that I can have a better life in the "next life." I think writing a story about reincarnation would be super interesting.
Possible Stories: Instead of a sample story, I have a book that is named "Reincarnation" that I really liked. The format of the story is multiple stories about two star-crossed lovers throughout the course of history. I also found some additional information regarding reincarnation on Wikipedia.
Sample Story Comments: The most interesting thing about this book is that it utilizes the same characters, and you can tell how they are the same characters because they have similar features throughout their reincarnated lives. For example, the antagonist always had green eyes and red hair for her defining features. I think the story also focuses a lot on the aspects of reincarnation that most people don't know about, for example, it is said that people reincarnate into families that they are the most familiar with. So in your past life, your grandfather could have been your best friend!
Bibliography Information:
Book Title: Reincarnation
Book Author: Suzanne Weyn
Year: 2008

Topic: The Monkey King's Adventures
Comments: I am fascinated by adventure stories and I especially like the Monkey King because of his martial artistry and heavenly powers. I also loved watching the TV show for the Monkey King's journey through life as a child and the various demons and heavenly beings he came in contact with.
Possible Stories: I would like to write the story in the perspective of the Monkey King and why he wreaked havoc in the beginning of his life, thus causing the Great Buddha to punish him. I also want to write about his various adventures, which taught him how to become a better person (or rather, monkey). 
Sample Story Comments: In the Sacred Texts archive, I found a story called How the Monkey King Became a God and it basically has a bunch of smaller stories that detail his journey to become the God of Victorious Strife. This could contribute good background information as well.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Myths and Legends of China
Author: Edward T.C. Werner
Year: 1922
Art of the Monkey King in full armor and various creatures.
Posted Andrea Ferri, 2014. Source: Pinterest.


Topic: Psychology of Disney Characters
Comments: I like psychology so I think I can tie some stories to psychological topics. Disney movies have always been my favorite as well!
Possible Stories: I want to write stories about the possible psychological stability/disorders of the Disney characters. For example, in Beauty and the Beast, Belle developed something like Stockholm syndrome and fell in love with her captor. 
Sample Story Comments: In the past storybooks archives, I found a storybook that wrote about the psychological disorders of various Greek/Roman mythological persons. I learned a lot indirectly about the characters from the story, but the author didn't focus on the disorders. I want to focus on the possible disorders in my story.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Greek Therapy: The Myth in the Psychology
Author: Courtney Shubert

No comments:

Post a Comment