Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Reading Diary B: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche

Week 2 Unit: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche Reading B

Cupid was kind of being a baby about his "scorched shoulder." It was just some wax and he's immortal, but this shows his childish character. The part where the bird said Cupid "lay there in doubtful health" made no sense to me. Venus has very intense jealousy and anger management issues in this story, even towards her own kin. It was crazy of her to say that she would use one of her slave boys to replace Cupid just because he fell in love with Psyche and went against his so called Queen. As the embodiment of love, shouldn't she be more of an advocate for her son and his wife?

Ceres as Venus's aunt should have the power to go against her. I thought it was weak of the other goddess to yield to Venus's rage-driven desire to punish Psyche. The way Psyche was treated after Venus put, more or less, a bounty on her surprised me. Here I thought she was one of the king's daughters. How did any mortal have the power to lay hands on a princess? The story exaggerates the characters' emotions, which spur a response from the reader, which I would like to incorporate in my own story.

The trials that Venus gives Psyche reminds me of the story of The Twelve Labors of Heracles. It amazes me that she was able to climb mountains and finish all of the task while carrying a child. I like that wherever Psyche goes, she gets help from various people, plants and animals. And I think that's partly because she has always been a good person. The message that I'm getting from these trials is that when someone has a kind heart, help will always be there for him or her. What really grabbed my attention was the amount of detail Psyche's helpers would give her in order for her to fulfill her task. I really enjoyed the ending of this story. I like that there was a happy ending for Psyche and Cupid as well as Lucius and the captive girl.

Painting of Providence Carrying Ganymede on His Wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment