Saturday, September 12, 2015

Week 4: Reading Diary B

I will be reading the second portion of the Jataka Tales (Babbitt) Unit.

  • The moral of the story was that people shouldn't be greedy and cherish what they receive, rather than asking (or in this case, demanding) for more.
  • I like that the feathers were gold in this story instead of the eggs since I believe that the goose that laid the golden eggs was ultimately killed in order to obtain more eggs.
  • This story definitely teaches you that you shouldn't give someone a task without teaching him/her how to do it beforehand! 
  • Finally a story where the wolf wasn't the antagonist!
  • This story shows that when you don't know how to appreciate people, you will end up losing them.
  • The lion in this story did not even say a word of thanks to the woodpecker and even said he was gracious enough to not eat him when the woodpecker helped him get the bone out of his throat. 
  • Ungrateful lion!
  • Wow, the King wanted to eat the monkeys as well as the mangoes.
  • The monkey chief was so kind to let all the other monkeys climb on his back.
  • I admire that the King was able to see the monkey's actions and decided to take care of him for the rest of his life.

  • It's true that you should make friends because once you're in trouble, you have no one else to help pull you back up on your feet
  • True friends are friends that will help you when you need them the most and sometimes, they're the hardest to find

  • I think the lesson this story teaches is that one shouldn't overstep their boundaries
  • This is kind of different than what I believe in. In a way, this is teaching someone to have a fixed mindset. To not try to become better than what they are. 
  • The wolf was killed for trying to catch bigger prey after he grew big and strong. 

  • This story was a good one!
  • I was confused at first as to why the village trader took the man's son and said the bird had carried him off, but then it made sense because the town trader had also told an outrageous lie as to why the plow was gone
  • The village trader just wanted his plow back. 

  • Here, the wolf is the bad guy once again!
  • I guess this story is telling us appearances can be deceiving. 
  • The wolf tried to play the good guy and called the lion "Great Lion" to get on his good side but then played him and caused left him for dead.

  • I think the lesson here is that you should listen to advice or instructions that are given to you.
  • Because Brownie did not listen to his father's instructions, he nearly lost his entire herd.
The Elephant and the Dog

  • This story was very cute! 
  • I think the moral of this story is that you can make friends with anyone! Even an elephant and a dog were able to become such good friends that separation would cause them depression! 
Image from "The Elephant and the Dog" story.
Source: UN-Textbook.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle!

    Me...again. I really loved your storytelling this week so I thought I would check out your reading diary as well. It looks like we do pretty similar styles of diaries. I tend to take notes on them like you. Sometimes I note what the plot line is, but sometimes I only write things down that really grab my attention or that I really liked about the story. That was when I go back I can remember it quickly. I might start using bullet points like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoi!

    I really appreciate your reading diaries. It's really convenient that you take notes for every story in the section along with linking the story you write notes about. You make it really user friendly! It's nice that you put a lot of your own opinion in the notes as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete